I baked this orange-zesty olive oil cake for my children’s first year birthday celebration at infantcare. I don’t really fancy buying creamy, chocolatey, buttery cakes to feed 12-18 month-old babies, so I bake this because this is something I would give to Ben, Becks and Nat at 12 months old. The recipe calls for little sugar, lots of orange zest and no butter at all.
Zesty Olive Oil Cake (Recipe makes 8 huge slices & about 16 small ones)
Ingredients:2 eggs 160g caster sugar zest of one huge navel orange zest of half a lemon 125ml olive oil 185g self-raising flour (add 2tsp baking powder if using plain flour) 60ml milk 60ml orange juice(I juiced the navel orange I used for zest)
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a shallow 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl using electric beaters until well-combined. Add orange and lemon zest, then stir in olive oil.
3. Stir in sifted flour alternately with orange juice and milk. Stir mixture gently for about 30s. Pour into cake tin.
4. Bake for 45 min. Leave to cool in rack for 5 min.
5. Dust with icing sugar. Serve and enjoy.