One of my favourite combi for cupcakes is lemon and blueberries topped with cream cheese frosting and chopped almonds. It’s healthy and yummy, and something the kids gobble down in minutes.
Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes
Ingredients: (recipe makes 10)120g unsalted butter at room temperature ( I use Greenfields butter) 125g caster sugar 100g self-raising flour (add 1.5 tsp baking soda if you use plain flour) 2 eggs lemon zest from 1/2 a lemon and 1 tsp lemon essence 100g dried blueberries
For the frosting:240g cream cheese 200g icing sugar, sifted 1 tsp vanilla essence 1 tsp lemon essence Chopped almonds (for the toppings)
1. Gather your little troopers. Prepare measuring cups, utensils and 10 cupcake cups. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
2. Beat together butter and sugar till pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in lemon zest and lemon essence.
3. Sift flour over batter and fold in. Add blueberries.
4. Spoon 2/3 of batter into cupcake cups. Bake for 15 minutes till risen and golden or till skewer comes out clean.
5. Cool cupcakes in a cooling rack. To make the frosting, beat softened cream cheese with icing sugar and vanilla and lemon essence till smooth. Slather generously onto cooled cupcakes and top with chopped almonds.