One of the things we make every now and then is sweet Japanese steamed cake, also known as mushi-pan. It’s so easy to make; all you need is about 10 minutes prep time.
Steamed cake (Recipe makes 9)
Ingredients:150g self-raising flour (add 1 tsp baking powder if you use plain flour) 2 eggs 4 tbsp milk 4 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp olive oil Add any flavour, filling or toppings of your choice
You will also need: ramekins and cupcake liners
1. Prepare all that you need. Gather your little troopers. Fill a large frying pan with water (2/3) and bring it to a boil. Put cupcake liners in the ramekins.
3. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar and olive oil, and whisk them together.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture, and mix till smooth.
5. Add toppings and mix well. Becks eats the dried blueberries as she adds them. The children add rainbow sprinkles to personalise their mushi-pan.
6. Pour mixture into lined ramekins and place in the boiling water to steam for 8 minutes. Stick a wooden toothpick into the cake. It’s done if toothpick emerges without wet batter.
7. Remove and cool. Enjoy.